Tuesday, November 03, 2009

a little rusty.

I've been kind of itching to write, which seems usually to spawn some good inspiration. But, I'm not really feeling that wave comin' on. I'll go with the stream of consciousness approach, I guess....My eye itches from the dander of the cat in the home where I spent the last hour watching episodes of The Office with a friend. That and a meal at the Red Sea Restaurant make for a wonderful evening, especially amidst good conversation with an old friend. I'm now here in my cozy home. I can hear the clanking of my neighbor's dishes, the soft hum of the freeway traffic and the incessant chatter of my computer 'working'. I'm tired. But I feel good. I spent the majority of the day riding my bike. I rode 1 hour out to the end of the Pt. Loma peninsula before I went to a meeting on the PLNU campus. The day was perfect for a bike ride, beautiful sunshine, views of the bay and inland mountains. And I cannot get over the fact that travel by bike is so completely accessible to me around this city even for a distance such as that! I LOVE it. I then rode home via Trader Joes, which I also love. I got some tasty masala veggie burgers, salsa verde, sweetened condensed milk (for more pumpkin pie!), spring greens (to supplement my sprounts!) and organic bananas. If I weren't trying to spend most of my grocery dollars at the farmers market and at my work, Grant's Marketplace (which is a local deli/market) I would be spending them at Trader Joes. Though, I have to say I'm quite enjoying the challenge and creativity of buying things that the farmers market has instead of just supplementing other grocery shopping. I can olives, almonds, spices, produce, tamales, fish, flowers, jerky, hot sauce etc! Anything a girl could want! And I can pretty much get the rest at the shop where I work. It's such a good feeling/practice to spend my dollars in a very tangibly-local economy. But, I also really like TJs :) and am happy go there every once in while, even just for some 2 buck chuck ;) Yes, it's still just $2 here!

I also spent a good part of the day with my latest read, Frankenstein. It is the first I've really known of the story. And I am really enjoying it! Sadly the movies don't sound at all like the book, so I don't know that I'll be seeing those. But, I'm finding the book fascinating and moving and actually quite the page turner. After I'm done, I plan to return to Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee...definitely of a different genre all together, but also heart wrenching. I enjoy so much having the time and interest to read a good book. In fact, I think I'm going to head to bed and do just that.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Leigh, I love the photos and the update. Wish you were close enough so that I could just come and spend an evening with you sometimes =) sounds like you're doing really well and I'm happy about that! Love you friend

michaela said...

dang i miss you! we need to cook together someday soon...kck is only a plane ride (or two) away you know...

ashby said...

I miss you...

things to report:

~I holed up in bed for like 2 days (after the auction) and watched basically the entire first season of Scrubs. it made me think of you. : )

~Ella and I made pumpkin pie from SCRATCH. I had never made a pumpkin pie before. we bought a sugar pumpkin (and some condensed milk!) at TJ's and went to town. it was gooood.

~um, that's all. I'm to bed.


love you!