Wednesday, July 21, 2010

sustainability

I'm closing in on a year since I moved back to San Diego. It's a bit shocking to me actually. Not just that the time has gone by so fast, but that it has been so full, challenging and good. I'm really enjoying my little cabin, my neighbors (old and new) and my neighborhood. I like, for the most part, living without a car. I get exercise riding my bike to work, on errands and to visit friends...friends who also share their cars with me regularly :), which is a treat every once in a while. I like my new boyfriend a lot and have enjoyed the process this year of being in a place where I have been open and ready for such a relationship. So...we'll see. I took a class in the spring, dropped a class this summer and signed up for a couple classes in the fall. I have managed to keep the job that I landed shortly after I moved here. I have been seeing a therapist weekly since November. I'm paying off my credit card debt slowly but surely. And you know what all this spells... S-T-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y. ick. strange but true. I'm actually enjoying the feeling of anticipated routines, the freedom of trial and error and trying again, the ebbs and flows of daily life on my own and among others, and knowing that I'll be here a while longer....Really, it's about SUSTAINABILITY...not so much stability. And that sounds good to me.

Summer has yet to come out of hiding this year in San Diego. It teased a bit last week with a couple hot muggy days, but today, it is again gloomy gray. I don't mind so much actually. I'm sure there will be plenty of summer to come. For today, though, I'm staying in, maybe watching a movie (ever heard of Dead Man with Johnny Depp?? me neither), working on some projects, drinking tea...and updating this silly blog.

Recently I had celebrated my birthday with a glowing delicious lemon birthday cake by LK...

a dance party...





and a delicious steak...

provided by this guy...whom I've been hanging out with a lot


Since then, a baseball game with him and his sister and her boyfriend



Going to the Del Mar Fair...aka corn dog heaven and home of fried s'mores and a giant steer....thank god we missed the fried butter





Visited R and her family at the airport


Gelato with G and D in LA...


And some other random events from the summer:

E's graduation from her master's program...

Camping at Mission trails with E and C...

A visit here in SD with my brother and his family :) :) :) cutest nephew ever.

dinner party with some girlfriends in my little cabin...

And now continuing with summer....I'm looking forward to some beach volleyball, more dinner and dance parties, long bike rides, porch sitting, coffee dates and such.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Leigh!
So good to read your update and I'm so encouraged by your fun pictures and life's goings ons =)
Base isn't quite the same without you around, but I'm loving the summer here tremendously! I understand why folks keep coming back around.
If I can make my way down the road to SD I'll have to let you know. Passed your favorite flower shop yesterday in Oakhurst.

michaela said...

leigh. as always your posts make me miss you (and make me post a comment that i miss you - i'm pretty predictable :). i'm so glad to hear life in san diego is going well. as usual, i wish all the states between kansas and california would consider relocating.